WATCH: Pulled rabbit recipe
- Credit: Archant
Cai Ap Bryn from Game and Flames shows us an incredible rabbit and pancetta salad with homemade ranch dressing recipe in this step-by-step video... mouth-watering!
In this video, Cai Ap Bryn from Game and Flames shows us step-by-step how to make a delicious take on a caesar salad, using wild rabbit instead of chicken. Rabbit can be shot all year round, and the meat is lean, healthy and delicious. Cai's method of taking the rabbit meat from the bone prevents it from becoming tough or dry - if you are feeling creative, you can use the boil/shred/fry method to create other tasty dishes. Why not mix the pulled rabbit with some BBQ sauce and top a burger with it!?
RECIPE - RABBIT AND PANCETTA SALAD WITH HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING
* Place your whole prepared rabbit into a pot of boiling water (see how to prepare your rabbit for cooking here), ensuring it is fully covered, and simmer for approximately an hour and a half, or until the meat is tender and comes away from the bone easily.
* Pick the meat from the bones, shredding as you go. Drizzle it with olive oil, and season with salt.
* Fry some pancetta in a pan with a little olive oil. Once the pancetta is turning golden and beginning to crisp up, add your rabbit meat to the pan along with a squeeze of lemon juice, and mix it together, making sure to scrape the fat from the bottom of the pan as you go so it flavours the rabbit meat. Once it is well mixed, remove from the heat.
* Now make the ranch dressing... mix together 200ml mayonaise, half an onion cooked off in the pan and finely chopped, a clove of diced garlic, a sprinkling of fresh chives, a splash of buttermilk, a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of black pepper. (TIP: If you don't have any buttermilk, you can mix normal milk, a little bit of salt, and lemon juice together to get the same result!)
* Make your salad however you like it (Cai used lettuce, white onion, cucumber, tomato, peppers and some edible flowers... very pretty!)
* Top with the rabbit and pancetta, and drizzle liberally with the ranch dressing. Enjoy!
- 1 Artisan hunting knives: knifemaker Marc Zabroski
- 2 Sako S20 Precision rifle - test & review
- 3 Comparison test & review - Howa v Sauer .223 rifles!
- 4 Ruger American in .300 Blackout - test & review
- 5 Foxing with rimfires!
- 6 RUGER PRECISION RIMFIRE IN .17 HMR - test & review
- 7 BERGARA B14 HMR IN 6.5 CREEDMOOR (LH) - test & review
- 8 Swarovski NL Pure binoculars, 12x42 - test & review
- 9 What to do with the guns of a deceased relative
- 10 Remington 700 PCR in 6.5 Creedmoor - detailed test & review
Cai is an experienced hunter and passionate cook. He has travelled Europe and our own isles extensively, cooking and foraging in some exciting and remote places, from Norway to Hungary. Fresh ideas and exciting concepts bring Game and Flames to the forefront of outdoor cooking experiences. As well as catering for pirvate functions, game fairs and weddings, Cai runs cookery workshops in his outdoor woodland cooking area, which you can see here in the video.
Visit www.gameandflames.com for more details