Recipe: simple venison sausage rolls
PUBLISHED: 12:30 22 November 2020
Anna Rogers of Very Good Venison presents this tempting, simple venison sausage roll recipe
Suddenly it’s Autumn. How did that happen? It has to be said that 2020 has certainly been a weird one. But with that, amongst all the worries and uncertainty, there has been one thing that has stayed very much the same in my household. Those familiar three words of “I am hungry” from my two children!
Now we might have been a little low on toilet roll at some point during lockdown, but we certainly weren’t short of protein, either fresh or in the freezer! This is one of the perks of being married to a full-time deer stalker. Here in East Anglia, the estate we live and work on boasts a variety of deer species. This provides stalking all year round and plenty of wild venison.
Winding back the clock to February 2018, I decided to set up an Instagram and Facebook account called Very Good Venison. The idea being to share my love of cooking with venison; recipe ideas; and with snippets of information about UK deer and their management. The focus being to appeal to both shooting and non-shooting folk, getting my passion for wild meat and its low carbon footprint out to the masses. I wanted to show that easy, everyday meals can be made with venison and wild game, you just need to be brave enough to make the switch.
Now I am by no means a chef – very much an ordinary home cook – but this is exactly the angle I want to promote. As much as the industry is grateful for TV chefs and restaurants showcasing venison and wild game, it’s the very nature of that style of cooking that makes venison seem like an unattainable luxury for a vast majority.
My first aim is to get people to try venison by making simple trades from say beef to venison. Making familiar meals that won’t stress any would-be home chefs in terms of overly complex preparation and cooking, but eases even the most cautious of eaters to try venison for the first time at home.
Now onto the good stuff! Anyone who has followed my account for a while will know I am a big fan of a sausage roll! These make the perfect addition to a packed lunch, or of course more seasonally, to refuel shooters, keepers and beaters during a shoot elevenses.
Simple Venison Sausage Roll RECIPE
* 350g venison mince
* 350g sausage meat
* Bunch of fresh sage (about 30 leaves)
* 1 heaped tbsp cranberry sauce
* 375g ready rolled puff pastry
* 1 egg beaten
* Nigella seeds
SIMPLE VENISON SAUSAGE ROLL RECIPE
1. Get yourself some “pre-seasoned” pork sausage meat from your butcher or supermarket. Being pre-seasoned gives you a head start.
2. Put both the pork and venison into a large bowl. Add the cranberry sauce and finely chopped sage.
3. It’s time to roll your sleeves up and get squishing!
4. Keep squishing the meat mix until everything is fully combined.
5. Now unroll the pastry onto a floured surface.
6. Next take your mince mixture and create a sausage shape down the long side of your pastry, leaving a gap at the edge for sealing.
7. Brush the beaten egg down the long side and carefully lift over the pastry.
8. Press gently and seal the edge by pressing down with a fork.
9. Trim the pastry and repeat.
10. Now cut each length into approximately four.
11. You will need two baking trays lined with non stick baking paper.
12. Gently lay out the sausage rolls, giving them enough space so that the pastry can expand a little in the oven.
13. Brush each sausage roll with beaten egg, and decorate with a sprinkling of Nigella seeds.
14. Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes.
15. Makes 7-8 large sausage rolls, which, when cooked, can be cut into mini ones. Have a taste test when out of the oven and add a twist of salt & pepper if needed. Oh, and prepare to loosen your jeans as they are addictive