Recipe: Sun-dried tomato, basil & venison sausage rolls
- Credit: Anna Rogers
Anna Rogers of Very Good Venison presents this beautiful, summery venison sausage roll recipe, using sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil to lighten things up for the warmer months and add incredible flavour.
Sun-dried tomato, basil & venison sausage rolls recipe | Serves 4
- 500g venison mince
- 350g pork sausage meat
- 200g sun-dried tomatoes
- 30g fresh basil leaves
- 1 egg
- 375g ready rolled puff pastry
- With your hands, thoroughly mix the venison and sausage meat together.
- Drain the sun-dried tomatoes. Squeeze and pat the excess oil from them with some kitchen towel, then roughly chop.
- Roughly chop your basil too, and add both to the meat, again mixing thoroughly.
- Unroll the pastry onto a floured surface. Give it a little going over with a rolling pin.
- Use half the mixture to create a long sausage shape along the bottom of the pastry (leave a gap at the edge to seal).
- Brush the beaten egg along the gap.
- Tease the pastry over, and shape with your hands. Trim (keep your excess pastry) and seal with a fork.
- Cut the long strip into four large sausage rolls, then place them on a lined baking tray.
- Repeat with your remaining filling and pastry.
- Brush the sausage rolls with more of the beaten egg, score the tops carefully and add a twist of black pepper.
- Bake at 180°c for 25 minutes.
- Remove your rolls from the oven, and grate Parmesan over each one. Pop them back in the oven for a further five minutes
Serving: I think these are best enjoyed warm or at room temperature. Tasty and easy – a perfect introduction to venison.
- 1 Sako S20 Precision rifle - test & review
- 2 Ruger American in .300 Blackout - test & review
- 3 BERGARA B14 HMR IN 6.5 CREEDMOOR (LH) - test & review
- 4 11 of the best: .22 rimfire rifles reviewed in 2021
- 5 Gun test: Bergara BXR Carbon .22 LR semi auto rifle
- 6 Mossberg Patriot Predator in .243 bolt-action - test & review
- 7 Gun test: Ruger Precision Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum
- 8 Watch: Beretta launches a brand new hunting rifle - the BRX1
- 9 Gun test: Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor
- 10 Long-range varminting - the best rifles & calibres!