Recipe: Simple "pantry" venison curry
Published: 12:00 AM September 10, 2021
- Credit: Archant
Curry doesn't have to be complicated! Anna Rogers of Very Good Venison presents this beautiful, super simple venison curry made using pantry staples...
Simple pantry venison curry
- 1kg diced venison
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground black pepper
- 1tsp ground ginger
- ½tsp chilli powder
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin full-fat coconut milk
- 2tbsp mango chutney
- Small bunch of fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Start by heating the oil in an oven-proof pan or casserole dish on the hob.
- Once hot, add all the dried spices, along with the garlic. This will soon create a spicy fragrant paste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and the coconut milk to the paste, stirring well.
- Allow the sauce to come up to a gentle simmer.
- At this point, add the diced venison, and bring it up to a simmer once again.
- With the lid on, place it into the oven. Leave the sauce to gently bubble away for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Once this time is up, remove from the oven and give it a stir. Remove the lid and place back in the oven for a further 30 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken and darken.
- Once out of the oven, stir in the mango chutney and tear in the fresh coriander. Season if needed.
- Tuck in with rice and naan.