What to do first when controlling foxes on farmland
- Credit: Archant
Do you have any tips on how to control the foxes on some local farmland?
Q: Our local pheasant shoot has asked me to help them control the foxes on some local farmland. Do you have any tips?
ANDY CROW replies: Chat to the keeper and the landowner. Find out where the key drives and cover crops are, and where public footpaths and buildings are, etc.
Try to build up a picture of local fox sightings. Look at suitable vantage points for observation and areas giving you a safe backstop.
Remember, the foxes will know where the birds are vulnerable so you need to plan your ambushes accordingly.
I would look to do some general reconnaissance at different times of the day. Try calling during the daytime, sitting up quietly in the evening and then have a drive around with the lamp after dark.
- 1 Sako S20 Precision rifle - test & review
- 2 Ruger American in .300 Blackout - test & review
- 3 Comparison test & review - Howa v Sauer .223 rifles!
- 4 Gun test: Ruger Precision Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum
- 5 Mossberg Patriot Predator in .243 bolt-action - test & review
- 6 Gun test: Bergara BXR Carbon .22 LR semi auto rifle
- 7 Ruger 10/22 Target Lite - test & review
- 8 Long-range varminting - the best rifles & calibres!
- 9 Stalon X 108 moderator - tried & tested
- 10 Mauser M18 in .243 - in depth test & review