What to do first when controlling foxes on farmland
- Credit: Archant
Do you have any tips on how to control the foxes on some local farmland?
Q: Our local pheasant shoot has asked me to help them control the foxes on some local farmland. Do you have any tips?
ANDY CROW replies: Chat to the keeper and the landowner. Find out where the key drives and cover crops are, and where public footpaths and buildings are, etc.
Try to build up a picture of local fox sightings. Look at suitable vantage points for observation and areas giving you a safe backstop.
Remember, the foxes will know where the birds are vulnerable so you need to plan your ambushes accordingly.
I would look to do some general reconnaissance at different times of the day. Try calling during the daytime, sitting up quietly in the evening and then have a drive around with the lamp after dark.
- 1 Artisan hunting knives: knifemaker Marc Zabroski
- 2 Sako S20 Precision rifle - test & review
- 3 Comparison test & review - Howa v Sauer .223 rifles!
- 4 Ruger American in .300 Blackout - test & review
- 5 Foxing with rimfires!
- 6 BERGARA B14 HMR IN 6.5 CREEDMOOR (LH) - test & review
- 7 RUGER PRECISION RIMFIRE IN .17 HMR - test & review
- 8 Swarovski NL Pure binoculars, 12x42 - test & review
- 9 What to do with the guns of a deceased relative
- 10 Remington 700 PCR in 6.5 Creedmoor - detailed test & review