RECIPE: Venison and veg casserole
- Credit: Archant
This venison casserole recipe is so easy to chuck together and makes the perfect week-night family meal - healthy, hearty, and full of goodness!
Venison and vegetable casserole recipe - serves 5 (courtesy of West London Shooting School)
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 3 – 3.50 hrs
2 X celery Sticks, thickly sliced
1 X onion chopped
2 X chunky carrots, halved lengthways then sliced
- 1 11 of the best: .22 rimfire rifles reviewed in 2021
- 2 Gun test: Tikka T3X Super Varmint Cerakote
- 3 Ruger American in .300 Blackout - test & review
- 4 Sako S20 Precision rifle - test & review
- 5 Gun test: Anschutz 1710 HB G Kelbly .22 LR precision
- 6 Gun test: the brand new CZ 600 centrefire range
- 7 Gun test: Tikka T3x Lite Rough Tech Ember
- 8 Gun test: Ruger 10/22 Target Lite in .22 semi-auto
- 9 Shooting long-range rimfire: part 2 (you don't need expensive kit!)
- 10 Hand-built by robots: the NEW Beretta BRX1 rifle
5 X bay leaves
2 X thyme springs, 1 whole and 1 leaves picked
1 X tbsp vegetable oil
1 X tbsp butter
2 X tbsp plain flour
2 X tbsp tomato puree
2 X tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 X beef stock cubes, crumbled
900g X Venison cut into large chunks
* Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and put the kettle on.
* Put 2 thickly sliced celery sticks, 1 chopped onion, 2 chunkily sliced carrots, 5 bay leaves and 1 whole thyme sprig in a flameproof casserole dish with 1 tbsp vegetable oil and 1 tbsp butter.
* Soften for 10 mins, then stir in 2 tbsp plain flour until it doesn’t look dusty anymore, followed by 2 tbsp tomato purée, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce and 2 crumbled beef stock cubes.
* Gradually stir in 600ml hot water, then tip in 900g venison and bring to a gentle simmer.
* Cover and put in the oven for 2hrs 30 mins, then uncover and cook for 30mins – 1hr more until the meat is tender and the sauce is thickened.
* Garnish with the picked leaves of the remaining thyme sprig.